Saturday, March 25, 2006

It took 15 years, but I made it.



"River's End" 18"x 24" acrylic. From my campsite September 11, 2001. My canoe half unloaded before being put up for the night. This is a companion piece of sorts to the Sandhill Crane painting below (2 posts ago). It was done from a field painting I did on the scene while I tended to my dinner cooking on the fire. The scene is looking back upstream along the last of the Missinaibi River from Portage Island. Out of sight to the left is the Mattagami River. Portage Island is in the midst of the confluence of the two rivers. Downstream of the island according to cartographers is the Moose River. The next morning I dutifully shared a toast of whiskey with the river as I left the Missinaibi behind, 15 years and 3 months after my father and I had paddled the southern section of the river. I had decided to do the entire river then. It was a bit sad being there by myself, but being a personal goal, maybe appropriate to have reached it alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home